Greenway Office Building
The social activism-inspired building that led LEED.
Built by the Green Institute in 1999, the Greenway Office Building just north of Hi-Lake Shopping Center epitomizes environmental mindfulness through design and location. The project was inspired by neighborhood activism, beating out a proposed garbage burning power plant slated for development in this diverse, economically disadvantaged neighborhood. Riding the wave of that activism, Greenway was one of the first properties designed to maintain groundwater on-site and to implement practices that laid the groundwork for LEED certification.
Wellington acquired this under-performing asset in 2009, renovated and stabilized it, and continues to successfully manage the property. Greenway is home to non-profits working toward an energy-efficient and carbon-neutral future, including Peace Coffee, Headwaters Foundation, Goodwill Industries and Climate Generation.
- Geothermal HVAC system to reduce energy consumption
- 80kW solar array to reduce electrical consumption
- Green roof with maintained apiary
- Natural prairie grass lawn to enhance rainwater retention
- A block from Blue Line LRT & bus stops
- Adjacent to the Midtown Greenway bike trail
- ENERGY STAR certified
Minneapolis, MN 55407
151 surface stalls, 2.5 : 1,000 SF
Owner, Manager, Leasing
Site PlanDistrict Plan
Leasing Agent &