Current Job Postings
Wellington Management, Inc. is an established, 38-year-old commercial real estate firm headquartered in St. Paul, MN. The company manages a portfolio of 100+ commercial and residential buildings in 24 communities of the Twin Cities metropolitan area.
We are seeking a Development Manager who will be responsible for managing all phases of development projects, from concept planning, design, entitlements, finance closing, construction and operations handoff. The position is best suited for someone that shares the company’s values and is committed to executing complex real estate projects that will not only be successful in the short term, but will also benefit the immediate neighborhood and surrounding communities for years to come. The company does not focus in one product type, but rather looks for unique development opportunities and strategic acquisitions. Development projects may range from market-rate housing, LIHTC/affordable housing, mixed-use, retail, industrial, and office and land.
The Development Manager will work closely with senior leadership to set goals for, and execute, both new development projects and strategic acquisitions. The position will report directly to the Chief Financial Officer.
Play a key role in helping Wellington grow and manage its development pipeline by:
• Underwrite prospective development projects by utilizing market assessments, competitive set analysis, pro forma budgets and discounted cash flows.
• Lead coordination across different departments in preparing requests for proposals, presentations and pitch books related to public and private development opportunities.
• Build and maintain development pipeline to track current and potential development projects, including tracking key milestone dates, due diligence tasks, etc.
Manage individual development Projects, in coordination with the company’s larger transaction team
• Prepare and submit public funding applications for a variety of development projects, including, but not limited to: brownfield remediation grants, low-income housing tax credits, affordable housing gap funding.
• Manage governmental approvals and neighborhood-level engagement activities, such as attending City Council meetings, neighborhood organization meetings.
• Coordinate with the CFO and Vice President of Finance to provide support during due diligence and negotiations with equity partners and lenders for project funding.
• Assist with the financial closing for new developments (and major capital improvement projects or new acquisitions, as necessary).
• Maintain current set of financial projections for development projects and analyze key market risks and potential impacts on project viability and financial performance.
• Solicit and manage third-party proposals/contracts required for each project, such market studies, environmental and geotechnical assessments, architecture and engineering, general contractors, etc.
Play a critical role in closing and ongoing construction activities:
• Attend regular construction OAC meetings for projects underway. The Development Manager, alongside the Senior Construction Manager, will act as the primary owner representative to monitor construction progress and ensure the work is proceeding on time and on budget.
• Manage the transition of development projects from pre-development to closing & construction phase.
• Coordinate with legal and finance divisions to schedule and run internal and external checklist meetings during the finance closing period.
• Provide support to development accountant and final approval for creating and processing monthly construction draws
• Work with Senior Construction Manager to review contractor change order requests and assess performance against closing budget.
• Provide regular updates to senior leadership regarding construction progress, performance against budget, potential project changes, etc.
• Assist senior leadership in preparing regular investor reports for development projects during construction, completion and lease-up.
• Coordinate gathering and submitting final construction draw items (e.g., CofO, final lien waivers, as-built surveys, etc.) with finance team.
• Coordinate and oversee submission of all compliance requirements during construction and at project close-out. (i.e., submit investor requirements for capital installments in affordable housing projects such as cost certifications, 8609 applications, etc.).
• Bachelors degree in finance, real estate, construction, architecture, planning or related field.
• 5 – 7 years of progressive experience in managing development projects
• Deep understanding of financing tools related to development projects, including typical debt and equity structures, tax increment financing, joint ventures, public gap financing products, etc.
• Strong excel skills, including developing complex pro formas, discounted cash flow analysis, construction sources & uses, etc.
• Highly motivated and self-directed
• Strong teamwork and collaboration skills
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to present and synthesize complex topics to all levels of the organization and to outside stakeholders
• Excellent analytical skills
• Ability to problem solve and make independent decisions or recommendations depending on situations and the scope of the issue (i.e., knowing when to coordinate a meeting with team members vs. making a decision as project manager to keep projects running smoothly).
• Highly organized with great attention to detail.
• The ability to see the “big picture” but also dive into the details.
• Master’s degree
• Familiarity with and experience closing low-income housing tax credit projects
Wellington Management offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience, including performance-based bonus opportunities. A competitive benefits package including medical/dental/vision insurance, 401k employer match is also included.
To apply or to learn more about this opportunity, please e-mail your resume to our HR Partner Gayle@Thrivetobe.com
Human Resources Manager
Wellington Management, Inc. is an established 38-year-old commercial real estate management firm managing a portfolio of 100+ commercial and residential buildings in 24 communities of the Twin Cities Metropolitan area.
We are seeking a seasoned Human Resources Manager. As an HR Department of One, the Human Resources Manager implements all aspects of day-to-day HR with support from internal and external resources as needed, as well as provides development, oversight and implementation of human resources programs and practices. This includes the implementation of HR policies, programs, and practices across the full spectrum of HR disciplines to create an engaging, inclusive, and compliant work environment that attracts and retains top talent. This role will report to the CFO, with a dotted line relationship to the leadership team.
Human Resources Day-To-Day Leadership
• Oversee the implementation of Human Resources policies, programs, creating and ensuring a positive employment experience for WMI staff
• Serve as a confidential resource for managers and employees
• Respond to employee inquiries on topics related to their employment
• Coach managers and staff on compliant HR practices; work with managers on enforcing policies appropriately
• Manages the Admin team, consisting of the front desk and Payroll specialist
• Stays current on all existing and new federal, state and local labor laws, regulations and ordinances; ensures company compliance with such. Includes reporting requirements, required posters/postings and preparation of information requested or required for compliance with laws
• Serve as partner with company General Counsel and primary contact with outside counsel and outside government agencies on employment issues; protects the interests of employees and the company in accordance with company policies and laws, regulation and ordinances; minimizes risk Responsible for Employee Handbook content updates; ensure polices comply with all federal, state and other local laws, regulations and ordinances
• Ensures all positions within WMI are properly designated in accordance with the FLSA
• Maintain all internal HR documents including the Employee Handbook, I9’s and other new employee paperwork, performance review forms, and employee files
• Maintain accurate and up-to-date employee personnel files; ensure completeness of files and confidentiality of data; manage file retention according to applicable retention regulations
• Ensure that HR systems meet appropriate confidentiality and compliance requirements
• Manage employee leaves of absences in accordance with applicable laws (FMLA, MN Parental); manage/facilitate the Short-Term Disability process
• Respond to employment verification requests and post-employment information requests (i.e., unemployment notices, reference checks, etc.)
• Work with leadership to maintain a healthy & safe workplace, in conjunction with OSHA and Workers Compensation
Talent Acquisition and Onboarding
• Establish and lead WMI’s recruiting and hiring practices and procedures to recruit and hire a superior workforce
• Work with managers to post positions, screen candidates/resumes and participate in the interview process
• Conduct reference checks on all candidates; process background checks
• Manage the offer process, including approvals, presentation of offers; maintain offer letters to ensure compliance with applicable laws
• Oversee the new hire and onboarding process for WMI; conduct orientation and facilitate new hire paperwork and processes
• Continually improve the recruiting and onboarding experience by reviewing and refreshing resources, tools and processes on an ongoing basis
Be versed and knowledgeable about external market data to ensure appropriate base pay ranges for all positions; participate in external benchmark/survey requests
• Working with leadership and WMI’s benefits broker/team, monitor benefits trends and/or changes in benefit plans to ensure the best quality and value in benefit plans for WMI employees
• Ensure new employees are provided with benefit information, facilitate their enrollment
• Maintain Benefits system (EASE)
• Coordinate and facilitate Benefit Open Enrollment and ensure timely enrollment changes
• Assist with benefit questions and manage qualifying events through the year
• Provide ongoing communications to all staff related to benefit updates and changes
• Work with third party vendor to ensure COBRA processes are followed
• Enter and/or verify payroll data; ensure employees are recording their time as applicable by law
• Track and manage PTO processes, balances and other PTO processes
• Ensure employees are notified of all payroll and/or job changes in accordance with the MN Wage Theft Act
• Work with third-party payroll agency on issues as needed
• Determine and recommend employee relations practices necessary to establish a positive employer-employee relationship and promote a high level of employee morale and motivation
• Coach managers in corrective action processes according to established disciplinary track; coach and train managers in their communication and feedback
• Conduct investigations when employee complaints or concerns are brought forth
Performance and Engagement
• Review, guide, and lead the performance review process, development planning, and employee training and development programs
• Support the organization on employee development to include training, development plans, and career pathing; provide organization-wide training on HR-related topics
Be a Culture Leader
• Coordinate Activities Team
• Support the organization with change management processes
• Support the development of diversity, equity and inclusion efforts
• Manage employee communication and feedback through such avenues as company meetings, employee satisfaction surveys, one-on-one meetings, and Intranet use
• Identify opportunities to implement recognition programs and initiatives
Provide guidance and support related to employment terminations:
• manage separation process
• conducting exit interviews
• provide employees with all relevant exit information
• ensuring all systems/vendors are appropriately notified
• Bachelor’s degree in HR, Business Administration, Organizational Development or related degree
• 6-8 years of broad-based HR management experience; including experience in a Human Resources role that is responsible for the day-to-day HR functions
• Knowledge and experience in employment law, compensation, organizational planning, recruitment, organization development, employee relations, safety, employee engagement, and employee development
• Ability to stay current on all existing federal, state and local laws as they change and necessary requirements
• Outstanding interpersonal relationship building and coaching skills
• Ability to confidently manage conflict, interact with diverse personalities effectively, and manage difficult conversations
• Strong verbal and written communication skills; ability to communicate effectively across all levels of the organization and exercise a high degree of professionalism and diplomacy to accomplish objectives
• High degree of confidentiality, discretion and professional ethics
• Ability to exercise initiative and demonstrate sound, effective judgment
• Broad experience managing transactional and strategic aspects of HR, with an ability and interest to engage at a detailed level
• Demonstrated ability to serve as a trusted, knowledgeable resource and a respected member of the leadership team able to lead with influence
• Excellent computer skills in a Microsoft Windows environment; Experience with HR related systems
• Experience in the administration of benefits and compensation programs and other Human Resources recognition and engagement programs and processes.
• Excellent organizational and time management skills; ability to multi-task
• SHRM or HRCI credential
• Experience in an “HR Department of One” role
• Active affiliation with appropriate Human Resources networks and organizations
• Experience with Paychex and EASE
• Experience working in the commercial/residential real estate industry
To apply or to learn more about this opportunity, please e-mail your resume to our HR Partner Gayle@Thrivetobe.com